January 21, 2013

President Obama's Inauguration

So pretty much for the majority of the day I was posted up at home. As much of you already know today was Martin Luther King Jr. Day, but that's not alllllllllll! It was also the Inauguration day of Barack Hussein Obama, the 44th president. Today, similar to 4 years ago when he was elected to office the first time, I was moved. Today was a historical day because not only do we have a black president in office, but today he took office for a second term. January 21, 2013 is extremely special to me, and let's not forget to mention this is the 50th anniversary of Dr. King's I have a dream speech. I know a lot of people might be sick of the whole "oh they keep praising Obama because he is a black president" but to me him being in office is more than that. To me, him being in office means that Dr. King's dream has come to light. The thing that strikes me is that fact that we can live among each other with peace and love.

Equality wasn't something far fetched and because we turned the other cheek like Dr. King instructed us to, look at how far we have come. There is a black man in office, gays are no longer taboo, everyone can vote, women can participate in government, and my future son knows that he can be somebody.

During my last semester of school I remember doing a paper on Dr. King and getting so emotional. I  read his autobiography written/edited by Clayton Clairborne, and I tell you that is the most I have cried while reading any piece of literature. I connected with Dr. Kings letters, the stories of how blacks were tormented, humiliated, and made to feel inferior. After I finished his autobiography I thanked the lord for the people (women, children, college students) who put their lives at stake in order to really and truly obtain FREEDOM. I then thought of Obama who didn't use this accomplishment of being "the first black president" as something to divide us, instead he used it as something to bring us TOGETHER.

So here is to you Barack Obama.....And here is to you Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Thank You For Paving The Way.

America, The Land of The Free.

  Oh.... And Here Is Beyonce During The 2008 Inaugural Ball....This Moment Will Be In My Head For The Rest of My Life.  Black Love <3 p="p">



No comments: